Monday, March 16, 2009

I feel the need to vent for a moment... or two.


On a wall

On the rug.

On the desk, after Jason had tried to clean it up a little.

On another wall and the space heater.


Yet another wall.

It all started about 2 1/2 years ago when we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl. As a baby, Andie was a perfect child, always happy and very easy. Since she turned 18 months, we have had one disaster after the next with her. Today was one such disaster. I was in my room folding one load of laundry that maybe took me 5 minutes to finish. I walked out to get the kids some lunch. I saw it as I was walking into the living room and could see the hallway that leads into the kitchen. Red, permanent marker all over the wall. The closer I got to the kitchen, the more I saw. It wasn't just on that one wall, it was on numerous walls and was very large in size. It was also on the desk, the desk chair, the floor, the rug, and the space heater. Oh, and we can't forget, it was also on Andie's hands. And there was Andie standing in the middle of all this with the marker. I yelled and put Andie in her bed and then I went back to the kitchen and cried. Jason, being ever so sweet, came in and said he would help me clean it up. I of course went straight to the internet to see what ideas others had for this type of cleaning. It came off the floor and the chair with a Clorox wipe. I'm hoping it will come off the walls with a magic eraser, if not, it looks like we'll be painting before we move. It is slowly coming off the space heater with a regular eraser, who knew? I believe it will come off the desk with either the magic eraser or a dry erase marker. I do believe I have a few hours of work ahead of me. As I have calmed down a tiny bit (probably the result of my anti-anxiety medication), I did choose to take some pictures, only to have some proof for when Andie is a mom and her child does this. Are you all wondering how she got the marker in the first place? Let me tell you, she got a chair, climbed up on it and reached onto the calendar holder shelf that did in fact have a permanent marker on it. A place, I thought, was high enough up that she could not reach. Permanent markers have now been banned from my house.

As I have pondered this really neat incident, I have wondered if the reason she does these sort of things is my fault. Because she is the second child and I don't spend enough time with her, does she act out to get my attention? I don't know the answer, but I do think I am going to try spending more quality time with her and see what happens. I do know that I am incredibly grateful to my Heavenly Father who has provided me with at least some sort of self-control. Had I not had that, I think this would have been one of those occasions where you would have seen me on the news for beating my child. Luckily, the only thing I did was yell, probably too loudly, but in this case, I'm ok with that.

I am still mad at Andie and have hardly talked to her, I know so childish, but I'm having a hard time getting over this one. Give me a few more hours and a couple of sweet smiles and I won't be able to hold back my own smiles, but for now, I am extremely grateful she is asleep and that I am leaving in two days!

8 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow, I would have cried too and have at much less. I have had one of those days today with Braeden too if it helps you feel better that I'll post pictures of later as he gets in these moods sometimes and completely trashed everything in site the few minutes I was on the phone with the doctor! Train set all over, climbed on bunk bed (against rules) and tore down Cameron's space stickers, tent covering, curtains and rod off of wall and heating vent in ceiling, spit water all over the blankets from the sippy cup, etc... So I am often at a complete loss too because he'll be playing like such an angel a few minutes later! But I haven't had to deal with the markers and flour that cute mischievous Andie does! Anyway, I totally empathize and maybe it'll help knowing other kids her age are unfortunately doing the same and she'll outgrow it (hopefully). She's so much like Braeden, both way too smart for their own good and both so hard to create a child-proofed house as they figure out ways around everything! Hope your day gets better!

Teresa said...

Actually I guess it was baby powder, not flour. :)

Clay Prince said...

Yes it is your fault and you probably need parenting classes so that your child will have any hope of not being a delinquent, or maybe a gang member. Maybe you can find an open class in your spare time in San Francisco. Take Lori with you, since she has been basically a nightmare to all the kids lately. Oh, and if you run into any "wifeing" classes while you're there...

Stacy said...

Once I was a nanny, and the kids were supposed to be taking a nap in their bedrooms downstairs. I was upstairs helping the house cleaning lady when she went down stairs and screamed. I ran down stairs... the kids I was tending had broken into their parents office and taken black sharpie markers, white out paint, paper clips, staples, everything you can imagine and dumped all over, however the worse part of all.....

The girl was 3 years old with really long hair, her Mom loved and was growing out her whole life. Well, the brother (maybe 2) decided to give her a haircut. He cut some of the hair up higher than her ears and they had to perm her hair and layer it and the longest lengnth was then to her chin. Really bad!

I felt so bad, because they were under my "supervision" But their parents ended up feeling bad for me and they pleaded with me not to quit. lol!

Anyway.. that sucks! Hope this story makes it a little bit less sucky (even though it probably doesn't)

Ashley Rae said...

LOL Oh man. Kids are so good at bringing out the worst in us! I can definitely relate. I'm so sorry. Although you will look back and laugh, eventually. Kennedy once used black permanent marker all over my nice wooden dresser. She was so lucky it came out with the magic eraser (that should definitely work on the red- it works wonders).

Sounds like she's a handful. She's lucky she's so cute!!

(And no- it's not your fault. All kids do these things. They just love to explore and to test us.)

Julie said...

Oh I'm sorry! This story brings back some awful memories. It could be worse believe it or not. Lindsey did the permanent marker art on our neighbors carpet and it was extensive, in multiple rooms. And I have lots of these stories. The scripture phrase "And it came to pass" is a favorite. These experiences do pass by and we somehow survive them. Good luck enduring this hard time.

stef said...

I think Rachael and Andie came with the same training. I am so glad you took pictures and that you weren't on the news! Hope your trip was great!

rosanne said...

My only consolation at times like that is I've heard that particularly precocious children are exceptionally bright, and are just bored. I don't know about my boys, but I have a feeling Andie qualifies as briliant!